Thursday 19 March 2009

Last Day in the Office

Today was my last day at work. I had a pending holiday that could not be converted to cash so I had to "use it or lose it". Tomorrow, my last day in Perth will be a holiday for me. I shall use the day to do a few small chores, eat dinner at my sister's house and then depart.

On the way to the office this morning, I bought a large lemon cream sponge cake from Miss Maud's. This was a popular choice for our morning tea. Yesterday, my branch and a few others went out to have a farewell lunch. They gave me a lovely going away card and a gift of $75 cash. Everyone has been very thoughtful and kind. They said lots of sweet words and wished me success in "whatever it is you think your doing." There were comments like: "it sounds like torture more than a holiday" and "you can still change your mind and stay." Perhaps understandably, I have been walking around with a big grin on my face most of this week.

Having spent most of my working career in Canberra working for the Australian Government on national social policies and programs, I enjoyed learning about state government processes, industrial infrastructure policy and Western Australia. I shall carry fond memories of many good people I met during the past five months.

No comments: