Sunday 24 August 2008

Leaving the Australian Public Service

I worked three years in the Australian Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet and then six months in the Department of Finance and Deregulation. I worked in many other Australian Public Service (APS) agencies since 1992. I enjoyed working in the public service for many reasons: sharing knowledge and experience; contributing to the welfare of Australian people; meeting and stirring-up interesting people; and relatively good working conditions and salary. Reasons for not enjoying it include: seeing bad ideas become Government policy and then fail as predicted; seeing pettiness in the scramble for power; and more.

I also liked the public service because I could do work that was relatively harmless to myself and others. I always tried to ensure that my work would be helpful to the Australian community and to some extent the international community. I was mindful of Right Livelihood - Sammaa Aajiva.

"A lay follower should not engage in five types of business. Which five? Business in weapons, business in human beings, business in meat, business in intoxicants, and business in poison." AN 5.177

My last day in the APS was Friday, 22 August 2008. Now I have no income. I have some savings which I plan to live on for the next few months. I may decide to seek ordination as a Theravada Buddhist monk or to find employment to continue the search as a lay Buddhist.